CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Category: Feminine
Type of record : Straight distance
Course/location : Quixada - Barras (Brazil)
Performance : 376.5 km
Type of record : Straight distance
Course/location : Quixada - Barras (Brazil)
Performance : 376.5 km
Pilot : Nicole Fedele (Italy)
Paraglider : Peak 3 / Niviuk
Date: 07.11.2013
Current record : 336.4 km (20.11.2012 - Seiko Fukuoka, France)
Current record : 336.4 km (20.11.2012 - Seiko Fukuoka, France)
“After four years of attempts, hopes and frustrations, ups and downs, my day has finally arrived! On 7th November I set a new feminine free distance World Record in a straight line: 376.5km from Quixada takeoff to Barras in Piaui region.
Quixada is a very special place that can put yourself in a state of mental stress because bad days are often more than happy ones and it is not always easy to keep your motivation high when you bomb 7 out of 8 times like it happened to me. Waiting for a good day is sometimes also very frustrating when it seems that that day will never arrive! Patience is very important and this year in Brazil I trained a lot, believe me!
On 7th November conditions did not look so good early in the morning so I spent some time on the takeoff hanging around, talking with other pilots, and waiting for a good window. Then at around 8:00 am I took off and left the hill after a few minutes together with other 5/6 pilots. The first part, that is usually very tricky, was easier than expected and I started to think that probably it was not such a bad day.
We flew to Madalena and we arrived there quite quickly, afterwards we started to spread out a little bit and I flew further to Monsenhor Tobosa with my husband. In the area of Nova Russas the sky was all blue and my only mate bombed out. For the rest of the flight I flew alone, I just met some urubus from time to time. In the area of Piripiri I had a couple of low saves and I lost a lot of time climbing in some very smooth thermals. After crossing Piripiri, I started to feel the smell of success… in the Morning I put the waypoint of Barras on my GPS and now I was really focused on it. I landed at 5:15 pm in the middle of the town after communicating my intention to the retrieve car that was following me.
My glider, the Peak 3, behaved perfectly: it climbs well and it is easy to handle also in the rough and not well organized thermals of Quixada...”
(Text copied from: http://www.niviuk.com/news.asp?news=382)
No comments:
Post a Comment