Monday, 10 April 2017

Fanas

Yesterday (SUN, 9.4.) while having lunch together with Ruth on the terrasse of  Skihaus Pirigen near Langwies I saw at least 25 wings flying high overhead; close to 20 pilots flew more than 200k; the furthest: Chrigel Maurer, 245km FAI-Triangle, launching from 'Vilan' (flight here).
So today, even knowing that conditions would be much less favorable due to the approaching coldfront, I found my way to Fanas as well...

just a few pilots on launch ;-)
looking east towards 'Chrüz'
 I started the crossing towards 'Chrüz' (for my liking) rather low, but the west wind helped and I arrived not too low. After a little scratching I was able to cross the peak and the wind pushed me eastwards towards Klosters. Climbs have been strong (up to 8m/s), but sink as well (up to 7 m/s). After Klosters it was finally easygoing to my planned turnpoint at 'Fergenhütte SAC': 3.5m/s climbing half accellerated :-))

near Chrüz
Here I turned back to Klosters and attempted to cross towards 'Gotschna', hoping to be able to continue towards 'Davos', but due to the wind I arrived rather low and spent the remainder of the flight just cruising arround.

avalanche barriers above Klosters

But considering the conditions it was an enjoyable flight for me. Back to my car in Schiers by train.

No comments: