Thursday, 2 September 2021

Scuol

Wednesday (1.9.)

0630: not very good looking ;-)
Webcam around 1000
Wednesday's RegTherm (thermal fcst): looking rather good...

It took the sun a very long time to burn away all the humidity left from yesterday. I finally launched after 1315: more than 30 minutes in the same thermal trying to make some altitude so I could fly away; and the thermals (at least some of them) have been rather bumpy. I made a (feeble) attempt to head west, but landed back at Scuol after 1h15': the flight was okay, but nothing really enjoyable ;-)

(> the RegTherm has been way too optimistic...)

Pano on launch (looking East)

Unfortunately no in-flight pix today due to problems with my camera - sorry!

Yu Tao: thanks for your assistance on launch; I hope you've had a good 3rd flight!


Thursday (2.9.)

Again a promising RegTherm (thermals fcst) - let's see how the day will actually turn out...

Thursday's RegTherm (thermals fcst): again looking promising...

Today I've made 2 flights. I landed after less than 30' because getting to launch I had realized that I'd forgotten my jacket in the car :-(  Knowing that (if the thermal fcst proved correct) it would be rather cold above 3000m I wanted to be prepared for a nice flight.

some flight school(s) launching from different places

Again only a few inflight pix due to problems with my camera (but at least some)

Launching for the second flight (see flight on Avvri.com) I was able to quickly gain altitude (quite contrary to yesterday) and started to head west, but I didn't really have a plan.

Getting close to Piz Linard it looked as a crossing towards Klosters would be possible, so I gave it a try...

Piz Linard (3410m)

Monbiel Valley / Fergen: straight ahead; Silvretta Lake/ Bielerhöhe on the right

near Verstanclahorn (3297m) looking into Vernela Valley

So far conditions had been really great: strong thermals but not too bumpy and also not too windy; but getting to Monbiel (Fergen/ Fergenhütte) I didn't like the conditions any more: strong sink, strong headwind at times, so I decided to land at Klosters.

Monbiel (looking NW): near Fergenhütte; left: Klosters

Monbiel - looking East (where I had come from)

Klosters - looking East

This desicion proved to have been a good one, because after having packed up and walked to the train station I only had to wait a few minutes before the train back to Scuol (where my car was waiting for the drive home) arrived :-)

I think this is the first time that I actually 'crossed' the Alps South to North...



No comments: