Tuesday, 14 July 2020

Gerlitzen (Dual Tandem SIV) -1 with Colin Popa


1st day of my SIV here at Gerlitzen/ Ossiachersee. Before today I would have said 'unfortunately' not with Xandi (the trainer on my previous trainings here). But Xandi is very busy: 8 (!) SIV-courses in a row... So he recommended that I fly with Colin Popa. Obviuosly I was a little sceptical about changing to someone unknown to me, but luckily it turned out that Colin is an excellent instructor as well :-)  Small detail: Colin is originally from Romania and I have known only one other Romanian pilot before: Puiu, which I met at Abtenau/ Trattberg in May 2003. It turned out that Colin knows Puiu as well ;-)



We did 5 flights with Colin's Gradient BiGolden3, which behaves closely to a solo paraglider.
On all flights we did a fullstall (or back-fly - as Colin prefers to call the manouvre). I got the back-fly part of the manouvre pretty right from the beginning, but I made a (different) mistake on the exit on the first 3 flights. Actually on the first exit we got twisted, so Colin had to take over and sort out the mess ;-)
Then we did spirals ('controlled' spirals as he calls them): they give a very good rate of descent with not too much g-load - exactly what I was looking for.
We also are working on wingovers - but there my timing still needs some work, but I think it will be easier on my Rook2.
Today the wx has been much better the on the fcst. I hope it will also be better tomorrow (where the fcst is not all too good). The plan is to do 2 more flights with Colin, working on back-fly and wing overs, then a solo flight...

(busy) LZ at Xandi's place

Yesterday and today we also met Nicole; she was doing work on the 777 Rook 3 and the King 2.

Nicole: 777 Rook3: incredible how small the cell openings on this wing are...
Nicole: 777 King2

No comments: