Wednesday, 1 July 2020

Test Ikuma 2-30

Finally a Niviuk Ikuma 2-30 has made its way to Switzerland; albeit due to many construction sites along the route (and therefore long traffic jams) much later than anticipated (and hoped for): instead of 1200 I could get my hands on the glider only at 1345 :-((
I have been to today's flying site - Rotenfluh - only 3 times before: 1992, 1994, 1997; in the mean time a new gondola has been built, which departs just a few minutes from the LZ.
Launch is less than 10' from the gondola station.




I don't like this color very much - not enough contrast on pictures... 


Here my impressions after a not very long flight: easy launching (though today I needed several attempts to get airborne). Great performance. (With my left hand) I can easily reach the A-riser in order to pull Big Ears. The speed system does not need much power to be fully pushed; together with Big Ears this gives a good ROD; no 'flapping' of the ears. Turns: to me it felt, that it was rather hard work making the glider turn. BUT, as I have to admit, I did all the turning/ thermalling only by using the brakes - the 'old-fashioned' way - and not by using the B2C-system. After landing I have been reminded of this fact, which I simply had forgotten.


Pano looking west
As this cloud was developing quickly I landed after about 50'.
Ikuma 2: certainly not 'love at first flight', but still on my list of possibe candidates. I'll need another flight in order to try making turns by using the B2C-system only (and not the brakes). I hope I'll be able to do this when I travel to Austria in the near future, as there is no size 30 glider here in CH.
Thanks to Peter from Paragliding Touch and Go for having organized everything!

No comments: