Monday, 3 May 2021

Weissenstein

Sunrise on 'Weissenstein' (Webcam)

Daytrip with Andy and Oli to Weissenstein: very instable atmosphere with great climbs and big sinks.


Pano looking West

A bit too much west wind for my liking. This flight also shows how little experience I have in flying here: which of these (parallel) valleys do you follow: the first one, the second one, when to switch from one to the other..

Probably I was too 'fixed' on reaching my imaginary target ('Chasseral'), so I tried to push too much westward (against the wind). Thus I missed to right moment when I should have turned back and taken advantage of the wind (for going East). So I had to land; but I found a sports field very close to the train station at 'Sonceboz'. But a nice average speed for going against the wind (23.7kmh)... Back home by train in less than 2.5hrs. 

And that's what really sets Switzerland apart from all other countries. Everywhere you can flind great flying site and magnificient landscapes. But only here it's possible to reach many launches by kind of public transport (thus you can leave the car at home), then fly for as long as possible/ as convenient, land and normally within an hour you'll have a train or bus to take you back home :-))

Pano looking West: 'Bielersee' (left), 'Chasseral', the white 'dot' (middle of pix)

Sonceboz

...never before I'd heard of this village...


Andy made the same mistake and  was on the ground just a few minutes before me; Oli headed East and landed just short of 'Olten'.


No comments: