Thursday, 7 July 2022

(Ebenalp) Hoher Kasten

Short trip to Wasserauen (Appenzell), wanting to fly at 'Ebenalp'. But getting there, the whole area was shadowed by clouds and -rather unusually- not a single glider in the air. So I decided to continue to nearby Brülisau, as this area was out in the sun and the general wind direction looked good for  a flight from 'Hoher Kasten'. The reason 'Ebenalp' is more popular than 'Hoher Kasten': at Ebenalp, the TOs are just a few minutes away from the cable car station, whereas at Hoher Kasten one has to descend to Kastensattel for launching (about 20 minutes) and of course - if it's not flyable - hike back up again...

In the late 80's/ early 90's, this area has been much more popular and we have launched here often; not only from Kasten Sattel, but also from Kamoor, the hill behind.

Hoher Kasten_ looking down to launch (Kastensattel) (and Kamoor)
...and looking back up from launch.
Pano on launch (looking West): Säntis (in clouds), Ebenalp (in shadow)
(too) interested bystanders, which I had to shoo away

With the wind straight on the nose, I just had to wait for a good moment before I was airborne...

Kastensattel (launch) (looking East - Rhine river)

above launch: Hoher Kasten, Sämtisersee


Conditions improved continously and soon pilots started launching also from Ebenalp.

Brülisau: LZ, parking and gondola station

I landed after about 2hours at Brülisau: very enjoyable flight in smooth conditions :-))

looking back up to launch: Kamoor, Kastensattel, Hoher Kasten


No comments: