Wednesday, 13 July 2022

Scuol -Leeloo days

Monday, Tuesday: Gudrun and Michael (Profly) had come to Scuol to deliver some Leeloos ordered by some of my friends and also to let other pilots test this wing: everybody seemed very pleased by the glider and Gudrun could take at least one more order. It had been a happy reunion for everybody and on both days nice flights had been possible - albeit only in the morning, as in the early afternoon the North wind started to break through: this made launches impossible, but also the wind at the bottom of the valley became (too) strong and also came in from the west, which is rather unusual here. But thermals have been strong and tops around (or above) 4000m. On Tuesday, one thermal at Piz Chapisun (between Guarda and Lavin) had been really rough with climbs up to 9m/s; of course the wing had to be controlled, but never collapsed: 'Leeloo rocks' ;-)

Monday pictures

Launch Motta Naluns
Ortler (3905m)
Reservoir at Schlivera (water used for producing artificial snow in winter)

Tuesday pictures
Bernina group: Piz Palü (3899m) , Bellavista (3885m), Zupo (3995); Piz Bernina (4048m),
Piz Roseg (3935m)

Michael: I had hoped he'd climb more towards me, so I could take some more pictures...
Macun
Pano near Susch (looking SW): Zernez, Upper Engadin

At Zernez, for a moment I had been tempted of trying to fly into the Swiss National Park, then across the 'Ofenpass' into 'Val Müstair', but with this strong northerly component I finally decided against this route; instead I just headed back towards Scuol, but landing at Tarasp.
LZ Tarasp (on the meadows to the left of the lake), Castle Tarasp

LZ in Scuol in thermic conditions can be a bit tricky, whereas landing in Tarasp is easier. And every hour (at xx15) there is a bus back to Scuol.

Remark: when staying in a hotel in this region all guests receive the so-called 'Guestcard Plus', which offers many benefits, among them free travel on the gondola to launch and on all public transports (train and bus).

Wednesday: less North wind, completely 'blue'. Probably I had launched too early, as in the beginning it was really hard getting high; later conditions improved and I got to nearly 3000m. Just some local 'cruising around' as for getting comfortably away I felt that I'd need more altitude...


Tarasp, River 'Inn'

Castle Tarasp


Remark: probably this will be the last post for the next 3 weeks, as I'll be going to Danmark with Ruth :-)

No comments: