Most of you I have already informed about the 'state of my shoulder', but to have it all in one place, I'm summarizing it here.
Sun (26.2.)
Andy and Tom have brought me to ACE for my return flight to ZRH with Edelweiss. I had 'prebooked' assistance in ACE, so helpful people took my by wheel chair (WCHR) to the lounge and later to the gate and in ZRH to the baggage claim and taxi stand. I arrived at home just before midnight.
Already on ACE I had booked a couple of physiotherapy session (twice per week until the end of March). Both therapist have been surprised about the motion range of my left arm (when moved passively). Here my thanks goes to Andy, who during the week on ACE daily moved my arm, so as to minimize any possible damage.
Tue (28.2.)
A week after my 'mishap' on ACE I went to see my GP (as per request of the doctor in ACE): he confirmed the initial diagnosis: no fracture. Unfortunately he thinks that I have 1 or 2 bruised rips. Only in a CT this could actually be seen/ confirmed; to heal it would/ will take 4-5 weeks... We decided NOT to make a CT, as this wouldn't change anything.
As the moving range of my right arm is still very limited and did not improve much during the first week after the accident, he has ordered also a MRI; this examination takes place FRI (3.3.) and I will be told the results MON (6.3.)...
There is a possibility that tendon(s)/ ligament(s) could be damaged / torn / ruptured. If this should be the case, it would open up a lot of further questions: what to do?/ how long it will take to heal? But it certainly would make my departure on 10.April for Japan more than questionable :-((
Meanwhile I've had also time (and the strenght) to unpack the parcel I've received from Profly; in order unpack the rest, my rt arm needs a bit more improving...
![]() |
| new risers |
Mon (6.3.)
As mentioned, the MRI has been done last Friday and today I had it reviewed with my GP.
He called it 'good news' - but the result is not what anyone has been expecting: the shoulder actually has been broken (!) during the impact 2 weeks ago; BUT it seems that no tendons / ligaments are affected :-) But on the angle the xray in ACE had been taken, the fracture didn't show up. They had wanted to xray from another angle, but as I couldn't move my arm at all at that time, they didn't...
And then there are the ribs (1 or 2), which are kind of 'neglectable', as they are supposed to heal within the next 2 or 3 weeks...
The shoulder fracture should heal within 4 to 6 weeks (after the fact); so the question remains how quickly I can have my right arm mobilized to its former movement range/ strenght (meaning: moving the arm actively/ by myself).
All I can say at the moment: the departure to JPN on 10.4. is not (yet) cancelled - but it will be touch and go...
My friend Hart is telling me almost daily (in capital letters): 'you will travel to Japan!' - after todays visit at my GP I'm a (little) bit more optimistic that this actually could be true; at least more than just a few days ago ;-)
What about pain?: of course pain is an issue, but fortunately it is usually bearable and I only have to take something additional only now and then (not every day)....
>> I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have contacted me in the meantime, have enquired about my condition, have told me of their experiences/ how to 'get back' and who have sent me their good wishes!

No comments:
Post a Comment