Tuesday, 17 June 2025

UK -4 (Malvern: Worcester Beacon); Malvern: Worcester Beacon

Sun (15.6.) It would have been the right place, except that the wind (again) has been too strong.

The North-South Competition set at task with goal at Ipswich (240+km to the East at the Channel coast). Many launches have been 'interesting'- to say the least; kind of xAlps-Style; luckily nothing major happened.... But conditions have been way beyond my abilities and even some very good UK-pilots didn't find them too inviting -among them Jim (who had won the task of f Milk Hill) and Jocky Sanderson... But several pilots actually made goal in about 6.5hrs (average speed > 38kmh).

Worcester Beacon: Pano looking East
Pano looking North
Pano looking West

Mon (16.6.) Again back to Malvern, but this time with less wind. I could make 2 flights, although on the first one I sank out rather quickly. The second flight has been much better: my first real Cobra launch (I think; and not only when gnd-handling;) then I managed to center these small thermals low on the hill much better than on the previous flight :-)
The 'comp guys' have been here as well and they flew 210+km to the East: it's amazing what they can do with an airspace ceiling of 'only' 4500ft/ 1500m.
Many thanks to Eddie who had carried my pack up twice (and twice his own gear

Malvern: Worcester Beacon
excellent Thali in Malvern with Eddie

After dinner I have driven 90km North to a hotel near Longmyynd (Church Stratton), where we hope to fly for the next 2 days...

No comments: