Thursday, 28 September 2017

Ossiachersee/ Gerlitzen: 'Dual Tandem SIV' -1 (with Xandi)

After my accident in 2012 (where I had lost  consciousness while spiralling) I didn't dare participate in any SIV for fear of blacking-out again. But in a recent XCMag edition I had read an article about a 'special' kind of SIV here at Annenheim (Ossiachersee/ Gerlitzen): let's call it 'Dual Tandem SIV'.
The SIV is done on a tandem glider with the instructor flying on the second seat. It's an especially selected glider, which behaves as close as possible to a mono glider.
So first of all: should I black-out, then there is the instructor who can take over and land the glider safely; second: it is extremely efficient way for training, as the instructor sits right behind me and can see/ feel in real time, what I'm doing (wrong).
So at short notice I have been able to secure a place with Xandi (Alexander Meschuh) from  X-ART Paragliding for 2 days of training.

Unfortunately no flying yesterday (Wed) due to too many clouds :-((
Even today it took quite a while longer than we had anticipated until the clouds had cleared away before we could fly from Gerlitzen (Top at 1900m). Xandi used the time to soar solo for a while in his tandem paraglider (ICARO Parus 41.5)...


It was well after noon until we could finally launch for our first flight: wingovers and spirals.
Meanwhile the wind on top had even increased more, so for the next two flights we took off from 'Kanzelhöhe'.


launch at 'Kanzelhöhe'
More wing-overs and spirals as well as flying at MNM speed for the second flight and full stall on the third flight. Here the only disadvantage of this kind of training showed: it needs lots of power in your hands to stall this (tandem) glider. More power than I actually have in my left (damaged) arm, so Xandi had to help a little bit. But all the other manouvers I've been able to fly on my own ;-)


our glider: 'ICARO Parus 41.5'
Xandi
LZ
So hopefully there will be more of the same tomorrow...

No comments: