Thursday, 8 December 2022

Arosa - 2 days with Oli

 

...too much snow for me...

I've spent the last 2 days in Arosa together with my friend Oli. Perfect winter weather, but that does not mean perfect flying weather ;-)  - especially not on the Weisshorn.

Tuesday: 2 problems: 1) to much (deep) snow on the not yet groomed slopes; 2) too much wind from a less than ideal direction (NW).

After about 2 hours on the mountain we decided to call it a day. When going down we met Bruno, who apparently after a failed launch in the deep snow managed to get off for a sledder.

Wednesday: 2 problems: 1) (still) to much snow; 2) not enough wind...

I've made 3 attempts to launch in almost nil wind from E-SE, but didn't make it. Afterwards I was completely drenched in sweat...

                                        

...so I didn't try again.

Oli managed to launch in this light easterly wind for a sledder to Mittelstation.


He came back up again to launch. Meanwhile the wind had shifted to light W and he finally could launch on the FIS. All this 'hassle' paid off for him, as he could find some thermals above the golf course and in the end he landed after more than an hour (as he was getting too cold) - congrats!!

As from coming Saturday, Weisshorn should be opened also for skiers, so by then the slopes are supposed to be groomed and launching -even in less than ideal conditions- should be possible also for me again ;-)


No comments: