Thursday, 22 October 2015

Abdalajis-8: Algodonales, Capilla: NADA!

On paper, the day looked rather promising: blue skies, little wind. So Gary and I decided to go to Algodonales (Sierra de Ljiar) , about a 2.5hrs drive from VdA (up to launch).
A few pilots launched for sledders from the west launch; many (!) others were waiting on the SE/ S-launch. But the wind pushed in from the north...We waited for a while, but no change, so we decided to head back to VdA. While dirving down, we saw just 1 (!) glider climbing up.
XContest later showed that short flights had finally been possible.


Algodonales -South launch
When coming back to la Capilla we saw a few gliders high and of course had high hopes for a good flight. But as I was preparing to launch, the wind started to die and these pilots either toplanded or sunk out.


'la Capilla' ('Poniente' on the far left)

So after more than 2 hours hoping for the wind to turn on again, I gave up and stuffed my gear into the car :-((


But at least there was a nice sunset while having dinner ;-)


Tomorrw the wind is supposed to be southerly again, so I'll meet Gary after 1500 and we hope 'Levante' we'll be good for a last flight on this visit...

No comments: