Thursday, 21 July 2016

Grindelwald, Schynige Platte

On the last day of this stretch of excellent flying wx I went to Grindelwald, where I met (at last) Torsten, the 'founder' and 'operator' of Paragliding365.com . I have been working/ contributing quite intensely on this site for the last 12 years, but never had the pleasure to actually meet him in person. So finally it happend and we spent the day paragliding here in Grindelwald and later flying 'Schynige Platte'. 


'First' (2200m) Torsten getting ready (red Epsilon)
Torsten coming for landing at LZ 'Grund'

The conditions have been excellent and I could climb to almost 4000m (3940m on the GPS/ 3870m Baro) - the legal ceiling being here at 3950m (Baro). Excellent visibility in all directions!


...as far as the Mt.Blanc.
This probably was one of the rare days when it would have been possible to fly over the top of the 'Eiger', but we had decided earlier on to land around 1500 in order to catch the last train from Wilderswil to 'Schynige Platte' for an evening flight from a site called 'Kamel'. So I had to cut my scenic flight short in order to meet this 'deadline'...
SPB -'Schyinge Platte Bahn' (over 100 years old), making a non-scheduled stop at 'Kamelweg' to let all the pilots off
easy, flat 5min hike to the 'Kamel' takeoff
As usual many pilots joined the train for this late afternoon flight. Unfortunatley, the actual conditions turned out to be not as good as everyone had hoped for and only a few pilots managed to get really high - I was not among them...
'Kamel' launch, looking towards 'Interlaken', 'Thunersee'
'Eiger', 'Mönch' and 'Jungfrau'




No comments: