Sunday, 11 September 2016

IT, SI -6: Piancavallo

I had an interesting drive across the mountains to Piancavallo; the GPS had taken me on a route, which apparently was the shortest way, but one I wouldn't necessarily have chosen by looking at the map. Very interesting trip across some very remote areas!
Arriving in Piancavallo, I rode the chairlift up and then there was a 4x4-shuttle further up the mountain and they told me that it would be 'only' a 20 minutes hike to launch. It took me close to 40' and arriving on the steep hill side launch, the headwind already had died; 5' later tailwind started to set in intermittently. Hoping to find a lull (or even a little headwind) I had set up and made even one attempt at launch.


Piancavallo
LZ in the soccer field (center of pix)
But the tailwind became more persistent and stronger ;-((
Some other pilots told me that they wouldn't launch and asked me if I'd need help getting down. I VERY gladly accepted. So they (Fabrizio and Romeo) helped me pack up and carry my bag down. Of course the shuttle was not there anymore and the chairlift had closed as well...
I told Fabrizio to leave my bag on the mountain and that I would take it down the next day, but he insisted.
So we walked down about 4/5ths of the way when we got picked up by the owner of the restaurant at the chairlift station. Many thanks to all of you, especially Fabrizo and Romeo!!!


Fabrizio & Romeo
Having met earlier Nicole and Alberto, after dinner I even met my friend Arduino.

No comments: