Saturday, 16 June 2018

(Arosa) Flims: Test Swing Nyos RS

The last 2 days I 've spent in Arosa, wanting to fly from the Weisshorn; the cable car just started operation for the summer season on Friday.
Friday: I drove to the top of he Weisshorn, but in the end decided against flying: it just didn't 'feel right': low cloudbase, windcoming from NW...
Saturday: originally I had planned to fly with my friend PeterW. in Arosa. But as I was checking the wx conditions before taking the cable car I saw that I had received an email telling me, that finally (with a delay of 1 week!) the Swing Nyos RS (size XL) had arrived in Flims, ready to be tested. 

Swing Nyos RS (size XL)

As I'm planning to leave for Austria/ Slowenia in just 2 days, I had to make a quick desicion: do I fly with Peter or risk, that the Nyos will be sent back as for at least the next 2 weeks I'll be unable to fly it. I decided for the latter and drove to Flims...

Flimserstein
I flew the glider for about an hour. Contrary to the test flight of the 777 Rook2 in Meduno (Sept'16) it has not been 'love at first flight' ;-)
The glider certaninly flies and handles well, performance seems to be very good, the RAST-system makes the glider very stable, but still...
One point which didn't make me feel very comfortable: the brake handles were too tight; it was very hard to get in/ out (ie for taking pictures). Of course I know this is just a minor point which easily can be changed, but on todays flight it really affected my handling of the glider...
Another point I'd have to get used to: due to the caracteristics of the RAST-system it is important to fly with virtually no brake input; BUT with my damaged left shoulder this is not so easy for me.
So after landing I organized with Walo, that if he still has the glider at his shop in Trin when I freturn from AT/ SLO, then I'll do another test flight, if not: then be it...

Martinsloch

No comments: