First in the morning a sledder off Flynns: one could already feel some thermals creeping up the hill. But a later take-off would have meant a longer flight and thus an even later arrival at Pajute...
![]() |
| Flynns: pano looking WNW |
| Brian (Flynns launch exactly below Brian) |
We then headed for Pajute, where first we 'planted' some streamers at the LZ, then Brian drove us in his truck up to launch. Due to rains earlier this year the 'road' has been badly washed out and is presently rather difficult to pass. Without 4WD, low gear and high clearance there is no way you'll make it...
| and there are worse stretches... |
While going up we saw 2 gliders flying amd there was already a car on launch. The wind came in perfectly, even a bit strong at times so I prepared my self without much delay. As the road was in such a bad shape, Brian elected not to fly, but to drive down his truck personally; Cookie felt the conditions were on the stronger side for her and Kari wasn't in the mood for flying. So in the end I was the only one of our group to launch.
![]() | ||
| Pajute: looking towards Bishop (SSW) |
I launched in a increasingly stronger wind (as I missed a lull) and had some problems controlling the glider. But with Stacy's advise 'fly the glider!, I managed to get off the hill in the first attempt.
![]() |
| (possible) LZ and launch; he road can also be partly seen... |
![]() |
| looking north |
With strong climbs (and sink) I headed north. My XCtracer recorded maxima of +9.0/ -7.0 m/s... As my groundspeed showed 72kmh at times I didn't feel to comfortable about the windsituation out in the valley and thus went looking for a 'nice' place to land. In the end It turned out, that the wind on landing was (luckily) less strong than I had feard, but anyway, it has been a great flight! Shortly after having packed my gear, Kari arrived to pick me up.
| my LZ: the round alfaalfafield |
We hoped for a third flight, but conditions on Flynns seemed to strong and at Chalk Bluffs the wind was just a little too weak...
| Kari |
| Sunset near Chalk Bluffs |




No comments:
Post a Comment