Saturday, 21 December 2019

PHI Maestro

Some of ouy might have realized that I have not particularily happy with the performance of my 777 Rook2 while in Chile ;-)  In late May the wing has been in Ajdovcina (SLO) with 777 for a check. When I got it back, I was told that they retrimmed the wing to 'faster'. In the strong summer conditions I didn't notice anything special, just that it didn't seem to be faster at all.

777 Rook2 (pix by Ralf)

Now in Chile -with often weak conditions (especially in Maitencillo, but also during the flight from San Marcos)- the performance of my Rook2 was kind of 'dissapointing': according to Ralf I should have flown 'at the top of the stack' with this wing, but instead I was the one who landed most often on the beach :-((
After my return from Chile I had the wing checked again (at FS Swissfly) and Walo confirmed that the wing is trimmed 'fast'...
Alteady during my stay in Chile I began looking around for possible alternatives, as the Rook3 from 777 is still in the pipeline and they wouldn't/ couldn't give me even a tentative date when the Size L might be homologated. And of course there is also the question: will the R3 live up to its expectations?

As I didn't want to go on my next PG trip (La Palma in January) with the Rook2 any more I had to make up my mind about a substitute. So WITHOOUT testing (time/ weather wouldn't allow for it when I wanted the wing to be ready by my departure). I ordered a PHI Maestro in XL at Flugschule Ostschweiz (the dealer closest to my home). I was promised the Maestro should be in my hands before I leave for SPC on 29.12.
But I don't want to be unfair to the R2: it has (especially before the retrim) given me many very pleasurable moments and flights!

PHI Maestro (pix by PHI)
On the short list have been also Ozone Rush and U-Turn Vison. But Danny (U-Turn) had told me that he'd be absent until 7.January, so the Vison was out of 'the race'. Between Rush and Maestro it was more like the toss of a dice - but I tend to lean a bit towards the not so well known brands... This comes probably from the times when I was 20kgs heavier and a wing for my flying weight (140+kgs) could never be had from the 'big' names (ie Nova, Advance, Ozone etc).

There is an video on Youtube from Flybubble testing the Maestro. (They also have a YouTube-channel with many interesting videos (instruction/ tests etc).


Test by Ziad Basil (Dust of the Universe): here
Test by Lucian Hass (lu-glidz) : here




No comments: