Thursday, 8 April 2021

Arosa - Leeloo

The last days of this winter season - on Sunday the gondola to Weisshorn will stop running. Therefore I took advantage of the good fcst to make the first flights with my new toy.


Easy (forward) launching in nil-wind conditions (important for me!). Surprisingly good conditions already at 1100 with nice thermals, but very cold; so I landed after 25mins.

excellent visibility, later in the day pure blue sky

The second flight lasted a lillte more than an hour with landing at the middlestation of the cable car to Weisshorn.

Bruno
 

Third flight: also a little more than an hour with an 'excursion' to Langwies/ Seta and back (via Medergen).

near Medergen

First impressions: the wing -as far as I'm able to judge with just 3 flights- fullfills everything Michael has 'promised': easy launching (foward/ reverse); easy to stay on bar with good glide ratio (even for a long time); ears stay in (no need to hold them) and no flapping at all. On the Ikuma2 I had problems with turning left: much harder/ more brake input was needed than with right turns. I had assumed that the reason would probably be my harness as I prefer right turns/ spiral to the right... Very surprisingly with the Leeloo I didn't feel any difference at all! Turning is very direct/ efficient: just weightshiftt and a little brake. And the wing clearly indicates which way it would want to turn.

As for big ears and B-stall: I haven't done any of them as I'm unable to reach high enough with my left hand :-)  But I think a modification of my harness could help: lowering the main attachements points by a few centimeters would probably be enough. Michael Nesler once told me on the phone that this should be doable...

The only 'minus' so far: the 'bar' in the brake handles is too stiff for my liking and I also don't like the attachment of the brake handles to the risers (by magnet). On every flight the handles detached at least once unintentionally during preparations for launch :-(       > These two points are way better designed on the Ikuma2.

There is a chance for some more flying if tomorrow morning the Föhn is not too strong already...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just remove the part inside the brake handle! It's ajustable. So if you like it loos remove all, if you like it a little stiff leave the rubber inside and remove the plastic.

RickS