Tuesday, 9 August 2022

DK - Ground handling with Mike Küng - Day 2/ 3 - Lokken

The hut I'm staying is actually named Honsehuset (= hen house)...

Day 2 stared pretty nice, but around 1000 a short spell of drizzle went by; later it became nicer and nicer. The wind on the other hand started of moderate and then got stronger. I was given a smaller wind ('only' 18m2 (projected)). At first this was easy to handle, but with the increasing wind even this was more than big enough for me ;-) Of course the smaller wing is easier to manage, but it is also more 'nervous' and requires quicker inputs/ reactions from the pilot. If the wind speed remains the same as this afternoon, I'll be given an ever smaller wing tomorrow...

Pix by Dirk Scheuner -thanks!
Briefing with MMK
some of the pilots have already progressed quite well...

...I on the other hand have not yet reached this stage, but I still hope I'll get there within the next couple of days...

Later in the afternoon I had to stop my training as my back started hurting: the pain has been released by the well know 'usual' conditions: sweating and coldish wind :-)
For getting back to my 'Hen house' I drove up the wide sandy beach all the way to Lokken (about 10kms) - in ideal condition this can be also flown - and even further until reaching the Rubjerg lighthouse.

Strand houses near Lokken

Dinner then at an excellent Sushi restaurant called 'Kamii'.


Day 3: after a debriefing/ briefing in the theory room we went -as yesterday- to 'Saltum Strand'. Today I was given a 14m2-wing. Even though this wing is even more 'nervous'/ agile as the 18m2-wing I had yesterday, I made good progress today and could 'catch up' a bit on the others. This was also made possible by Stefan and afterwards Baldur spending quite some time we me - thanks guys!


Besides our group I've not seen another pilot on the ground or in the air today ;-)


No comments: