Wednesday, 31 August 2022

US'22 (30.8.) - Golden / Boulder

Due to the jetlag (8 hours time difference to ZRH), we had no problems getting up. After a sumptous breakfast 'American style' we headed for our first flying site: Lookout at Golden.

'Breakfast in America' (Stacy / Andy)
Golden/ LookoutMtn
Lookout: launch

I could make 2 flights a Lookout: the first lasting about 20', as we have been a bit too early. The launch is hike-up from the road in the picture (a good 20' for me). Andy drove the car back down, so Stacy could also make a flight.

My 2nd flight lasted 1h20' - but could have been extended at will; nice thermals, though landing has been quite tricky due to thermal activity. Andy had a problem with his harness, so he tried to topland. We didn't know this so we assumed he was attempting this just for fun and the camera ;-)

Andy trying to topland (due to a problem with his harness)...


After these 2 flights we did some shopping and I finally got my AT&T SIM-card. When I wanted to buy the SIM yesterday, I had been told that my iPhone 5s wouldn't work anymore in the AT&T network :-(  To get a replacement -which wasn't locked- proved to be a bit of a problem, as most shops (except the Apple store) are selling iPhone only together with 'a plan' (and thus locked)...

Granger, a contact Stacy has in Boulder, had suggested we'd come up for a possible evening 'glass off' flight. Conditions would have been good, but we arrived a bit too late on launch (again a hike-to site), so all three of us had just a sledder (not even 'extended') - Granger took the car back down - thanks!
Actually Granger had started paragliding 34 years ago in Vaduz/ Triesenberg...
I have been the last to launch, just as the wind was about to turn catabatic: I don't think that with another wind than my Leeloo I would have attempted to make the launch in these conditions. At the LZ, the wind direction was cleary catabatic...

Boulder
Boulder LZ

The LZ in Boulder (the right part of the nice green field in the picture) is on of the nicest LZs I know: very large, obstacle free and a lawn like a fairway on a golf course.

After more shopping (ingredients for my breakfast) we had dinner and then drove back to our Motel at Lakewood. Here Stacy could contact Jeff, who suggested to come down next morning for a possible flight off Mt.Princton...

No comments: