Wednesday, 22 June 2016

US'16 0612 - Skinny Ridge

...getting close(r) to what we're looking for...
Our friends here at Glennwood Springs sent us to Skinny Ridge. For Roan the winds came out of the wrong direction. While driving up to launch, we realized we had a problem with the transmission of our car: it would only work in 1st and 2nd gear anymore - but what else would we need on such a mountain road, so we continued  ;-)


Andy ready to launch

We both got off easily and soon Andy was high and heading east. For at least 30mins I was scratching in front of launch without ever getting more than 150m over. 



Then I decided to head out towards a possible LZ on the valley floor, always looking/ hoping for lift. Finally abeam my intended LZ (the only meadow in the valley where the grass has already been cut) I found really good lift all the way up to 3750m; with this altitude I also headed east.


looking back to launch from above 3000m
looking east towards Glennwood Springs (below 'big' cloud)

But I haven't been able to climb again high enough to fly safely over the ridge you can see in the pix above, as with the westerly airflow I wanted to be really high there in order to avoid any possible rotors.
So this made me turn around and look for a nice LZ.

landing on the cut grass (in the top rh corner of the pix)

Just shortly after landing, I didn't even have time to begin packing up my gear a Chevy Tahoe drove upto me. The driver said something like 'driving is certainly better than hiking out' and offered to drive me out to the interstate. While talking it turned out that he actually was going to Glennwood. So he dropped me off right at the motel :-))  THANKS a lot!!
Meanwhile Andy also got there: he had landed in the LZ at Glennwood and could ride the bus back.

Update on the transmission: it's gone and needs to be replaced, which is hopefully done by tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: