Saturday, 21 January 2017

la Palma: Campanarios/ el Gallo

Also the last 2 days of this week of flying here on la Palma have been very good.
Yesterday (in Campanarios) I didn't feel so motivated and landed already after 50mins of flying :-((


Campanarios: Hartmut getting ready
Later in the afternoon at my little 'Finca', my neighbours told me that there was oil under my car (Fiat Panda 4x4). Apparently while driving up to Campanarios I must have hit a stone/ rock somewhere. It was not leaking very much, but I called Hartmut to have a look at it. He meant, that it probably would be safe to drive it for another day... But during the night I decided not to take any risks and in the morning informed the rental agency. They offered to exchange the car here at my 'finca' during the day. So for flying today, Hartmut and Gaby took me to 'el Gallo' (before they headed to the airport for their return flight), where I lauched just before the clouds started to prevent a flight from 1300m.
For the first 20min I didn't find almost no lift at all and was already down on the ridge above the LZ. For another 20mins I had to scratch around without gaining much height. Fortunately then the thermals became stronger/ more organized and a nice flight was finally possible. I flew almost to Fuencaliente/ los Canarios, where I had to turn around as conditions became rather 'strange': at times strong sink and also much more wind. I landed after 2h10' in Puerto Naos and took a cab back to my house (where I found the replacement car already waiting).


NOT my Finca -unfortunately ;-)
Puerto Naos (looking North)
Puerto Naos
Tomorrow there will be no more flying as my flight leaves at 1330. But it has been a very good week with lots of nice flight.

777 Rook2
Flying the 777 Rook2 is a real pleasure and not once I felt uncomfortable! Especially launches in nil wind are pretty easy.

Many thanks to Hartmut and Gaby for the great company and all the assistance/ driving/ retrieving!
Last -but not least- my thanks go to Ruth!!

1 comment:

Marco Zonca said...

Hi Taggi! Beautiful wing... :-)
All the best!