For a moment we could catch a rare (!) glimps of 'Nevado del Ruiz' an active vulcano to the east (5389m). Shortly afterwards the mountain was again covered by clouds over the Cauca Valley.
The 'problem' here in Roldanillo: towards noon the (west) wind from the pacific normally sets in and getting away from on the different (east facing) launches here becomes impossible. It's a bit similar to the 'Bayrischer Wind' in the Pinzgau, where the wind comes over the lowest parts of the mountains to replenish the (hot) rising air that makes us climb in the thermals.
| los Tanques |
From the car park it's 'only' a short (but steep) hike up to launch. Luckily John (our driver) offered to carry up my gear, as today I most probably wouldn't have made it my by myself.
Many thanks John!!!
The sky remained covered by cirrus clouds, so (for me at least) thermals were hard to find and the climbs weak; but still a 1.2hr flight.
Similar situation also the next day: but cloud base was much lower, so we had to wait quite a bit before we even could launch.
| waiting for cloudbase to rise, so we could launch |
The flight itself - well nothing to be proud of: it seems as I had been flying in a kind of 'thermal-avoid-modus' ;-)
But everybody felt that today's conditions had been much harder than yesterday's.
I had landed not far from the road and when I got there, almost the first car stopped asking me if I wanted to go to Roldanillo. I said that I needed to go in the opposite direction (to La Union). So they turned around and offered me a lift; on the way they also stopped to pick up another member of our group (Dirk), who was walking along the road and then we got dropped off in the center of La Union. Many thanks!!!
But tomorrow, wx should be better...
No comments:
Post a Comment