Sunday, 15 August 2021

iCamp: Day-7: Bassano; Day-8: Levico Terme; Fazit

Friday: after the long drives yesterday everyone welcomed that we stayed here in Bassano; first a flight from Panettone.

Vedetta

Due to the very high temperatures thermals didn't devellop very nicely, so it had not been very easy for some to stay up, but I'm pretty satisfied with my flight: strong, small bumpy thermals as well as nice wide ones: all easy to center with my Leelo, especially light thermals. Just start the turn by wightshifting, then hold the inside brake at a steady position (about 10cm) and control the turn with the outside brake. The less I do, the better the wing climbs: hand movement is minimal, just a few centimeters when needed.

After a stop at the gelateria we drove again to Paettone. Unfortunately the wind started to turn to NW / N. While driving to Casette launch it even rained a bit :-(

Casette -launch

Unfortunately conditions would permit only a sledder, so I 'declined'...

 
Diner at the hotel: indulging (again) in very nice meat, but the 'mille foglie' for desert have been absolutely outstanding :-)

Saturday: Levico Terme: again too hot and weak thermals and even for those we had to wait rather long...

Vetriolo -launch


Fazit: for me it has been more than worthwhile attending this 'iCamp'. All instructors have been excellent: Peter, Michael and Gudrun, as well as Igor, our driver and 'Jack of all trades'... Michael as 'head' instructor is outstanding! His knowledge of everything concerning paragliding is incredible and he also knows how to explain these things. Peter is not only a PG instructor, but he holds (or held) several licences in aviation: sailplane/ motorglider instructor; (frozen) ATPL; IR... so there had been more than enough things to talk about besides paragliding ;-)

At the beginning I had been asked what my targets for the week would be and I replied: landing more like an eagle than an albatross; improving my launches; rapid descent techniques. I think I made progress in everything, especially landing. The main reason for my landing problems: a completely wrong adjusted harness which simply didn't permit for good landings (- it had been almost impossible to get up in time for a good landing).

I'm pretty sure I'll join them again, as it not only has been very helpful/ instructive but also a lot of fun :-))

Bonus: 1 new flight area: Levico Terme/ Vetriolo :-)


No comments: