Sunday, 8 August 2021

iCamp: Travel, Day 1, Day 2: Bassano

6.August

travelling to Bassano in order to participate in a training camp (they call it 'iCamp').

In order to avoid the usual traffic jams in front of the Gotthard tunnel and the border at Chiasso I elected to travel via Davos-Flüelapass-Zernez-Ofenpass-Münstertal-Vinschgau-Meran-Trento-Valsugana to Bassano. Time wise (without traffic jams it's the same: 6.5hrs; distance wise this route is 100km shorter and much more scenic.

Münstertal (Val Müstair), Ortler (3905m)
Müstair, Kloster St.Johann (dating back to 755)

As I just made 2 short stops (fuel and coffee) I needed some calories after arriving...

7.August - Day1

meeting at 1400: Gudrun, Michael, Peter and Igor are our trainers for the week.

Michael Nesler, Gudrun Öchsle  (Profly) and Peter Nitsche (Flatland Paragliding) are all very experienced instructors; although Igor is also a teacher (?) he is more of a helping hand, video operator and driver.

A large part of the afternoon has been spent by ajusting the harnesses; NONE had been to Michael's liking ;-)  Especially my harness needed some major work...

Then a short flight from 'Antenne Costalunga' to finish of the day.

The harness adjustments seem to be working, as I managed a good (standing) landing (this has been a major problem recently and it seems it was due to the way my harness was set up).

8.August - Day 2

Starting the day with a theory session: launches and landing: all of yesterday's lanuches had been filmed and were now scrutinized. Then we drove to 'Tapetti / da Beppe'-launch for a nice thermal flight, before shortly after 1330 the rain set in (as forcasted):  I landed just before the rain started, but I had cut it too thight, so my gear got a little wet while packing up :-(  While the harness adjustments seemed to improve my landings, but on the other hand it feels like turning the glider has become much harder, so more adjustments...

Pano looking east (launch can bee seen)

LZ (and hotel Garden Relais)

After the rain had finally stopped and the clouds cleared away we drove to 'Cassette'-launch (facing west). The pretty weak thermals made me land just short of 30'.

drying my wing before flying

The rest of the group went for another flight, this time from 'Panarotta' (the highest launch here at Bassano), but I declined. Instead I went for an early dinner at the hotel. As for the last 2 nights I only had a carrot and some gelato for dinner, I needed something more 'substantial' ;-)



I'm pretty happy with all 3 launches I made these last 2 days; landings: 2 good ones and still one on the butt...



No comments: