Friday, 25 March 2022

Disentis - Flims

After several days of flying in Arosa (Blog entry to be posted later), today I travelled with PeterW to Disentis. Although according to the timetable there are only 3 minutes in Chur between arrival of the train from Arosa and departure to Disentis, we easily made the connection; and in Disentis the local bus to the cable car was waiting 'just for us'. In winter, launch is at 'Lai Alv' at 2485m, in summer it's lower (at Gendusas, 2150m), as the chairlift to Lai Alv is not running regularily.

Magnificent weather and great views!

Lai Alv: pano looking South: Piz Medel (3210m)

Launch at Lai Alv (in front of restaurant)

Pano over launch looking West towards Sedrun/ Oberalp Pass

Unfortunately, launch was not prepared nicely (as we are used to in Arosa, where they prepare launch and landing to perfection). So, taking off was a bit tricky as there was a risk of getting stuck in the soft snow while running. That's also the reason why I have decided not to return the next day to this launch.

Oberalpstock (3328m)

But as can be seen from the pictures, thermal tops have been above 3500m. The thermals, once above about 2700m, have been very smooth and gentle. Also the wind from the South (not Föhn!) never became too strong (max 15kmh).

Tödi (3613m)

(possible) LZ at Brigels

Pano near Brigels looking West (where I came from): Val Frisal, Bifertenstock

Rheinschlucht/ Ruinaulta


After having taken the pictures of Ruinaulta it would have been easily possible to climb back up to +3000m, and then continue towards Calanda/ Chur. But we had assumed that the valley wind in Chur would most probably become (too) strong in the afternoon and before launchig we had decided  to land in/ near Flims; actual wind in Chur at 1600: NNE at 24.8kmh gusting 40.7kmh...

Flims

After having packed up, I checked the timetable for connections to Chur and discovered that I had less than 6 minutes to reach the bus; with 'running' I barely made it...

Very nice flying day in great company: thanks to Peter for his support before/ after the flight!

No comments: