Wednesday, 4 September 2024

(Rosengarten / Catinaccio / Kölner Hütte)

Tue (3.9.) I met Michael for a capuccino and a briefing about todays' options at 1000: he 'sent' me to 'Rosengarten / Catinaccio / Kölner Hütte', which can be reached by cable car and gondola from StCyprian, just a few kilometres up the road from my hotel; it's also possible to land there.

StCyprian (Tiers)

The cablecar from StCyprian to Frommeralm is completely new and the old chair lift from Frommeralm has also been replaced by a modern (8-seater) gondola, whose station has been built into the mountain.

Gondola station. Pano from Kölner Hütte/, looking South towards Karersee/ Latemar

When I arrived there has been unfortunately a slight tail wind, which turned later into a cross-wind, probably due to that for the whole morning there has been no sun at all heating up this westerly oriented face. I didn't like both for launching on this steep terrain, so after 1.5hrs I rode back down again... With hind sight I should have probably waited even longer, but the fcst reported possible showers/ OD after 1400... (Nothing happened untill 1600+.)

cross-wind :-((   Pano looking S: Karersee / Latemar
Pano looking W-NE direction Tiers

Tipp: I had bought a single ticket, costing 24EUR (StCyprian-Kölner Hütte). It would have been more economical to have bought a day-ticket (36EUR) permitting unlimited use of all gondolas etc here, because I had to pay again 24EUR for the ride down. So if it's not a 100 percent certain, that it's possible to launch, get the day-ticket.

No comments: