Sunday, 8 September 2024

Canazei

Thur (5.8.) Travelling from Tiers to Campitello via Passo San Pellegrino, Cencenighe Agordina (Gelateria da Daniele - a very good recommandation by Michael), Passo Fedaia; the first part of the drive has been cloudy, but still dry; rain, later in the afternoon. Dinner with Masa and his group of Japanese pilots in a Pizzeria. Apart from this day, they have been able to make at least a flight/ day with some days offering even very good conditions.

da Danile

Fri (6.9.) the humidity from yesterday's rain lingered well into late afternoon, when finally a sledder from Col Rodelly has become possible. Once more dinner with Masa and his group. Again all had been able to make at least a (short) flight.

Rodella, pano looking North
Rodella, pano looking East-Southeast
Campitello (LZ), looking NE towards Belvedere

Sat (7.9.) On Col Redella a huge building project is taking shape: the present cable car will be replaced by a complete new system with 18 gondolas (capacity 30 persons each), thus able to transport 2200 persons/ hour...

>>  But this also means that next summer (2025) NO gondola/ cable car from Campitello to Col Rodella will be running!!  <<

Still some lingering humidity... By 1100 conditions turned on; for me today the thermals felt rather bumpy, so my flight didn't last very long; otherwise conditions looked good.

Rodella:Pano looking NE: Sella Towers / Pordoi (center) / Marmolada (far right)

no idea how many sheep, but when driving across Passo San Pellegrino I crossed a herd with 1000 sheep...
Rodella; Pano looking North: Langkofel (left) / Sella Towers (right)
Rodella; pano looking SE: Pordoi (left) / Marmolada

After my (short) flight I again rode to Rodella, but now the SW-launch would have to be used... The usual problem: I could get down to launch with my gear, but in case of not being able to fly not back up anymore - so I had to renounce :-(

Instead I drove (again) to Rosengarten / Kölner Hütte: here conditions looked good.
A glider, which had taken off rather far down on the slope, had found good lift. But same problem as above. I laid out right on top: there is a small piece of flat terrain; but for launching I had to go down the slope a bit. Unfortunatley, the slope here is very steep so I slipped several times and in the end had to call it a day.
When I had been here a few days ago I hadn't realized how steep the slope was; otherwise I wouldn't have tried again.

Rosengarten / Kölner Hütte: pano looking W: Latemar (left)


No comments: