Wednesday, 4 September 2024

Speikboden/ Sonnenklar; (Rodeneck)

Wed (4.9.) Originally I had planned to go to Rodeneck; but as I got near (around 0900) the whole area was shaded and already the first clouds had develloped. I stopped for a moment and checked 'Burnair'. As it looked clearer to the East I decided to continue and try Speikboden (Sand in Taufers/ Ahrntal).

Initially it didn't look convincing either: some low stratus...

Sand in Taufers
...but getting closer to Sand in Taufers it started to look better and these low stratus clouds quickly dissipated :-)
From the LZ I rode the bus to the gondola station for Speikboden - I didn't have to wait more than 10' before the bus arrived.

ideal wind conditions at 'Sonnenklar'

There have been some other pilots (about 5), all of them had launched by the time I finally was ready. Luckily I have been so slow, as they all sunk out, while later (when I launched) conditions improved and I managed to stay up and even could climb a few hundert meters above launch. Later I crossed the valley and flew over the other launch here: Ahornach.

Pano on 'Sonnenklar' looking NW: Ahrntal, Main divide (IT-AT)
Pano looking NNW (towards Sonnenklar)
Sonnenklar - where the chairlift ends

Ahornach, over TO looking SSW towards LZ
Ahornach TO
Sand in Taufers: LZ

After my flight (which lastet about an hour) I started to drive back towards Tiers. Along the way I 'had to' stop at a Gelateria; here I decided that I'd drive by Rodeneck and see if an afternoon flight could be possible. 'Luckily' I missed the bus to launch by about 10' and I didn't want to wait for the next bus. So I continued towards Tiers. While passing Brixen it started to rain... So the ice-cream saved me from a possible flight into rain or having to ride the bus down to my car again ;-)
Dinner with Gudrun and Michael (and 'Loki').

'Loki', a 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback

Tipp: a single ride to Sonnenklar costs 29EUR, and you have to pay again if flying should not be possible. For 69EUR you can get a ticket valid for 7 days, allowing unlimited rides... (2024 prices)





No comments: