I was able to make 2 flights: the first one just a sledder to the local LZ.
![]() |
| looking towards Mt.Aso |
| looking back to launch |
I was quickly picked up by Yuko and we drove back up to launch for a second flight. This time the thermals had been established quite nicely and I could fly towards Daikanbo (as Rick had suggested I'd try).
| Kabuto-Iwa launch |
| Mt.Aso in the back ground |
Today Mt.Aso was more active than usual 'spitting' some dust and smoke. The level of activity was such that it was even mentioned on the TV news nationwide.
| over Daikanbo launch |
Easy going until Daikanbo, but then I 'blew' it. Flying more East I couldn't find any more thermals so I landed in an abandoned rice paddy. There was just one other pilot at Daikanbo; he launched to the SSE, but couldn't find also anything....
After being picked up by Yuko again, we drove through the Aso mountains. This road had been closed until recently due to the 2016 earthquake. And still a major road is closed as they have to replace a collapsed bridge.
![]() |
| Mt.Aso |
What's noticeable, not only here, but all over Japan: Japanes tend to try to 'tame' nature by using concrete. Whole mountain sides are covered by concrete to hoping this will hinder landslides and such.
Later a visit to a local Onsen and dinner...



No comments:
Post a Comment