Wednesday, 10 April 2019

Japan -day 3: no fly (wx) - shopping, sightseeing, onsen, sushi

As forecasted by Rick, today was not really flyable, so we stayed here in Kumamoto. Yuko took me first to the train station, so I could make the reservations for my upcoming train trips. When travelling with a JR-Pass it is unfortunately not possible to make these reservations on-line... Then  we looked for an ATM so I could check, if it was actually possible to withdraw money with my (European) bank-/ creditcards (- yes it is). Before we went sightseeing, I needed to to some shopping as well, so Iwould have all I needed for breakfast for the next days. The breakfast here at the hotel offers just some (white) toastbread and marmelade; all the rest is Japanese-style only, which is ok if there is nothing else around, but I prefer my Müesli and Yoghurt...

Sightseeing: here in the city this means 'Kumamoto Castle' (around 400 years old) but heavily damaged by the 2016 earthquake. I was told it would probably take another 20 (!) years to finish the restauration completely


Kumamoto Castel
damage by 2016 earthquake
all the stones are numbered, so they can be put back in the correct place...

'Info' especially for Chinese and Korean tourists

After a short nap at the hotel Yuko dorve me to a small, but nice onsen for a dip in the -luckily not too- hot water. On the way back we had dinner at a sushi bar.

Onsen
Suhsi bar
Yuko, my invaluable guide here in Kyushu

Tomorrow looks rather better; Rick has provided us with contacts for 2 possible flying sites (Kirikabu and Minou-Kankake). We'll leave at 0900 for Minou where we are 'expected' by some locals at 1130; they will show us around and take us also to launch.

No comments: