Saturday, 14 September 2019

Bassano (cont)

Antenne / Costalunga

When I got to the LZ this morning, there was just a car ready to leave for launch which had a space left. So without asking which launch he would drive to, I took the opportunity and joined 3 other pilots.
Due to a prevailing easterly wind I was taken to 'Antenne / Costalunga'. A few (student) pilots were launching but it didn't look very promising yet. On the other hand I didn't want to wait too long either...
I was given the tip to head 'for the turn in the road' on the other ridge and try my luck there.
I could see that pilots launching from 'Stella Alpina' (where I had launched yesterday) where already getting up. Contrary to my expectations I arrived above the 'turn'  (with the help of a little luift/ reduced sink) and was slowly able to work my way up  :-)

Stella Alpina launch
From then on it was easy going (actually easier than yesterday), but due to the slow start my average speed was lower.
This time (finally!) I was able to fly over the WW1 monument on Monte Grappa.


Lots of pilots in the air today, as there was also a comopetition going on. In the end thermals got really strong: my vario recoreded a max rate of climb (ROC) of more than 5 m/s.

launches: left: 'Puppolo' (HG)/ right:  'Tapetti' (GS)
As it seems that tomorrow (Sunday) the North wind at Canazei is supposed to be no factor anymore, I decided to try my luck there...

No comments: