Today my impatience 'gounded' me - this happens once in a while ;-)
![]() |
| Langkofel (Sasso Lungo);Secada (in the back), Sella Group, Boe, Pordoi |
I was on Col Rodella at 1030. That's normally the time around which the first cracks launch.
Some did but just sank out. Also almost an hour later only a very few had found a thermal, but nobody stayed up very long. Furthermore the wind on the SE-launch was veering forth and back. I had the impression that thee was some westerly flow out over the valley.
![]() |
| Sella Group, Boe, Pordoi, Belvedere, Marmolada |
As by 1230 the situation hadn't really changed, I was getting tired of hanging around launch and thus decided to head for Cattinaccio/ Rosengarten, a site more suited for a west wind (if there would be one). I have flown here before: 2001 a great flight into the evening; 2006 with Oli, but just an extended sledder. Furthermore at least twice without flying (wind!).
Getting back ot my car in Campitello I (finally) saw the first glider over Langkofel...
Rosengarten: the problem there is, that the wind very often comes out of the north, for which the sizte is not really suited.
| looking at launch: below (white) mountain hut |
But contrary to what I feared: ((too) strong northerly winds) the winds have been very week (but westerly). Certainly launchable, but It didn't look to me that I would be able to get up high.As I was in no mood for just a sledder I called it a day after 1.5hrs of parawaiting.
![]() | ||||||
| Rosengarten: pano looking west |
So in retrospect (!) it certainly would have paid off to wait longer on Rodella and not to change site. But at least I had a very nice and prolonged chat whith the guy operating the Rosengarten chairlift and could practice my (a bit rusty) Italian.
Dinner: again with Masa and his group.



No comments:
Post a Comment