Monday, 18 September 2023

Italy - 'H&F' day 1: Monte Panico / Gioia dei Marsi

Today's program: hike and fly Monte Panico in the morning and in the afternoon go to Gioia dei Marsi.

Monte Panico is (about) a 400m hike from the car. I started out with the group, but unfortunatley the trail ended already 80m above the car where it became trackless and very steep. Even though Rene offered to carry my gear to the top, Michael recommended that I turn back...

Monte Panico (seen from my launch at Forca d'Acero)
'climbing' to Monte Panico (pix by Gudrun)

...as there is another, much easier to reach launch available, this certainly has been the right decision. But to that point I'm quite happy how I could carry my pack. Anyway: many thanks to Rene for this generous offer!! 

Forca d'Acero: about 15' hike from the car park

I was ready to launch here at the same time, as the others launched from Monte Panico.

San Donato
(HG) LZ

I flew for a bit more than an hour before landing at the large/ wide (HG-) LZ.

Later we drove to Gioia dei Marsi via Opi and Pescasseroli - stopping here for some ice cream.

Opi


Everyone enjoyed a nice evening flight at Gioa. I toplanded after about 30', as at 1900+m it has been a bit too cold for the way I had dressed.

Gioia dei Marsi



No comments: