Sun: at 0850 I received a Telegram msg from Eddie, saying that he just arrived on launch at Combe Gibbet and that it looked flyable... I immediately departed from my hotel at Newburs and arrived on launch at 0940: Windspeed looked very good, but direction was more than 20° off to the left for good soaring. Additionally, the LZ (if I would have sunk out) would have been a long walk.
![]() |
| Combe Gibbet (Pano looking W-N) |
![]() |
| Avesbury: West Kennet Long Barrow (a well preserved) early neolitic burial mound. |
![]() |
| inside... |

So we decided first to visit Avesbury, also a neolithic site like Stonhenge, but much bigger in size. It resembles more the sites I have seen in Brittany (F) (also much less crowded than Stonhenge).
Afterwards we went again to Westbury, where the wind actually was much less strong than predicted and it would have been flyable. But after yesterday's nice flights in good weather I decided not to.
Here I had to say goodbye to Eddie, as my week with him has come (much to quickly) to an end. He proved to be a perfect guide with great local wx and site knowlegde, in addition he is also a great pilot and teacher, It has been good fun to spend 7 days with him - THANKS A LOT!!
Also many thanks to Rob (FlyFiesch) for having proposed Eddie as a possible guide!
I continued towards the East, as I want to take a ferry tomorrow morning (Mon) to France. On the way I made a stop at Stonehenge, but I have to say that in a way I have been a bit disappointed. I can't say what I have expected, but Stonehenge seems to me less 'big' and impressive than all the docus/ films I have seen made me believe ;-)
Conclusion: Flying possible on 6 out of 7 days is rather good for England; I've been told that often It's the other way round...




No comments:
Post a Comment