Tuesday, 11 June 2024

Return home

Mon/ Tue: as mentioned earlier on Monday I took the Ferry from Dover to Calais. At the border I had to show my ID to the French Border Police; when checking-in for the ferry, I showed again my ID. Only this time the officer was not 'happy' wih my ID, as theoretically one has to have a passport for travelling to the UK. But upon entering nobody bothered, so why should he bother upon leaving...

As I had arrived a bit early at the harbour, I was put as the last car onto an earlier ferry, thus saving me more than an hour. Once more a smooth and uneventful  crossing. There has even been a spell of sunshine :-)

White Cliffs of Dover

I needed almost 7hrs to drive from Calais to la Bresse in the Vosges Mountains. I had chosen this location, as there is a little hope that tomorrow (Tue) flying might just be possible here (le Treh).

Driving up the mountain, there have been some blue 'spells'...

Lac de Kruth-Wildenstein

But unfortunately the fcst on BurnAir Map has been too optimistic (again!): I sat for close to 4hrs near the launch at 'le Treh', but the clouds persisited. I saw only 1 pilot launching and disappearing rather quickly... I even hiked up to launch prepared for a flight, but the 'cloud picture' just didn't look inviting.

Pano on launch looking W

In the end I walked back to my car and drove home, arriving at 1730. The whole trip (CH to Ireland with Ruth and PG UK to CH) with my own car meant that I have driven around 6450km (plus several ferry crossings)...

No comments: