With a promising fcst we left Glenwood before 0800 for the looooong drive up to Roan Ridge. Until Rifle it has been easy driving along I70, but then the dirt track leading up to Roan has taken us more about 1 hour and 20 minutes: this 'road' has even gotten worse than it has already been 4 years ago :-(
 |
| Pano looking East to Rifle/ Glenwood |
Arriving on launch we found really nice conditions: head wind, not too strong, so Andy and I launched shortly after 1000.
At first it looked, that I would have to head out to the LZ immediately, but then I found some lift. But all the lift Andy and I found never took us more than 200m above launch - just enough to take some pix...
 |
| Roan launch |
 |
| looking back to launch (and the track we've been driving up) |
 |
| LZ |
We both landed after about 45 minutes; then back to Glenwood for another Sushi lunch and a short nap, before heading up to Lookout Mtn again, where we found much better conditions than yesterday :-)
We quickly laid out and Andy (as usual) has been the first to launch: I followed a few minutes later and immediately found a thermal which in the end took me to almost 2000m (=4450m) over launch. Andy had to search for a while but then he also found this huge thermal and finally landed 40kms from launch (direction Aspen). Even fully accelerated he was climbing from 4000m to 4500m without turning once. And what a nice thermal it was. In the end he run out of sunlight and had to land (his flight > here). Above 4000m it became too cold for the way I had dressed and so I landed after 50mins at the LZ in Glenwood: a very tricky landing, as the thermal was sucking up all the air and I had to land towards the river...
 |
| high above launch |
 |
| Glenwood LZ (besides sports field) |
No comments:
Post a Comment