Wednesday, 28 September 2022

US'22 (26.9. - transfer

Originally I had hoped to make eventually a flight from Goodsprings (NV), but with this rental car -altough a 4x4- I didn't want to drive the track to launch. Even though Andy offered to drive/ retrieve, I remember the road as too bad for an 'ordinary' SUV :-(

leaving 'crazy' LAS

So I left LAS, driving N/ NW towards Beatty (passing near Area 51), around the White Mountains to Benton and via Mono Lake (Lee Vining) to Bridgeport: approx 635kms in 9.5hrs. The reason for this trip: on Tuesday I wanted to visit Bodie State Historical Park and my Hotel for the night was just 5 mins drive from Hwy 270, leading to Bodie. 

Apart from a few larger towns (like Beatty), once outside 'greater' LAS,  there have just been minor villages and hamlets along the whole way...

endless stretches of (almost) straight roads/ highways
...Area 51...
...I hope the 'Angels' are in better shape than the sign and the aircraft ;-)
Beatty (which a long time ago could be reached by train)
Mono Lake (Lee Vining)
...waiting for dinner at 'Virginia Creek settlement'

After the 'culinary catastrophy' of Richfield and a slice of pizza at the Luxor in LAS, the restaurant here has been really nice!


No comments: