Tuesday, 4 October 2022

US'22 (3.10.) - (Mammoth Mtn) / McGee

Mon: Kari had everything organized for a flight from Mammoth Mountain, but -we already have been heading up to Mammoth- she received a SMS, saying that 'private cars' are not allowed to be driven up to launch anymore :-( Originally she had wanted to go there in my SUV, but luckily I had convinced her to take her own car. She had assumed that the road (at Mammoth) still might be good, but accepted my argument, that she really didn't know.
She asked me if I was ok with flying McGee instead. I agreed, but without great enthusiasm, as so far all my previous flights from McGee had just been sledders... While driving towards the LZ, she organized a driver (Eric) which arrived together with Barry. With my car we wouldn't have been able to drive to this launch.

McGee: looking (East) towards Crowley lake - LZ just beyond highway (where it 'disappears' in the pix)
Launch (Barry setting up)

Kari launched first and we could see her climbing on the East side. After a blown launch I got away without problems (thanks to Eric and Barry for helping me set up again!) and was able to find good lift, which took me up to 3000+m: strong, but nice thermals, but sometimes requiring tight turns close to the hill...


Luckily I had agreed to give this site a chance, as conditions have been really great, especially as the aspens also here have started to change colors.

Crowley Lake (at ca 3500m)

I made it back to the 'official' LZ, as Kari had an important appointment and needed to be back in Bishop by 1500. I used the rest of the afternoon to have my clothes washed for the last time during this trip ;-)

It are these flights which sometimes are the nicest, when you are not expecting anything at all before launching and then you are given a really great day :-))


No comments: