![]() |
| sunrise on Mt.Tom (there is also a launch, but hike-up -1000ft vert) |
TUE: my last day here in the Owens Valley with Kari... Today I got up early, so I could watch the sunrise.
Acc to the wx fcst, conditions for McGee should be a bit 'less good' than yesterday. Jonny (our driver for the day and a former HG pilot) met me at my motel for the drive out to Kari's Place on 'Oceanview Rd' (!!). At the LZ for McGee Barry and Eric joined us for the ride to launch.
| Eric |
![]() |
| Crowley Lake |
The flight started pretty much acc fcst, but thermals were harder to center and sharper; TOC also lower. And as forecasted conditions got weaker, so Kari and I landed after about an hour; Barry and Eric fared the same...
Even though the winds on Flynns showed 12-16mph (which would be too strong for me), we decided to drive up - Kari hiked. Just as Jonny and I reached launch, a pilot arrived hiking: Andy from SLC.
| Kari launching on Flynns |
But it turned out that the winds seemed to be a bit lighter and I coud even reverse launch :-))
Andy went first and hit THE thermal of the afternoon, which allowed him to 'sky-out' - I estimated to around 3000m. Unfortunately neither Kari nor I found a similar thermal.
So this flight concluded 7 days of flying in the Owens: rather unusually we could fly every single day - normally some blown-out days have to be expected. As usual Kari did an excellent job, always finding a site suited to my (launch) abilities. MANY THANKS! It have most enjoyable days, even if I have fallen a couple of times for Kari's jokes ;-)



No comments:
Post a Comment