Thur: Getting up early to be at the loop around sunrise...
...and as luck would have it, another of these 'monster' fright trains came in sight. After returning to my motel for breakfast I left for San Bernardino, stopping on the way at Mojave.
 |
| wind park 'California' style |
 |
| ...in need of an used airliner? (dry storage at Mojave airport -KMHV) |
I arrived at San Bernardino/ Andy Jackson Air Park (AJX) around 1300 and just 1 pilot (Reilly) could be seen flying, but he had to land due lack of thermal activity. According to my flight book(s) I have already made 18 flights here: the first in 1992 (!) and the last in 2009 - always when flying into LAX as copilot (on either DC10 or MD11) - half of them toplanding.
 |
| Marshall (launch) on highest point (Reilly landing) |
The usual problem: how to get to launch? Luckily Reilly 'knew' the solution: call Gene Embree +1 909 260 0131, who took us in his ATV to Marshall Peak. A cool ride up the mountain with his dog (Max) sitting in the copilots seat and ejyoing the ride - 20USD well spent, especially as Gene (a longtime H4/ P4 pilot) gave me a briefing along the way :-)
 |
| Marshall, looking SW towards LA |
 |
| AJX - the green field obove my left boot |
Apparently I launched too early and had to land after only 20', but completely drenched in sweat as I had dressed in the hope for 'something different' ;-)
Gene was waiting for an other ride up, but I declined, even though it looked that conditions would improve later in the afternoon.
 |
| driving to my motel: Marshall (middle of pix), AJX below |
 |
| 'last supper': Prime Rib, Sam Adams (and cheese cake) ;-) |
No comments:
Post a Comment