Friday, 19 September 2025

IT - Dolos with Profly -Day 1: Canazei (Belvedere)

Fri (19.9.) At 1000 a group of 10 Pilots (not all with Leeloos) met at Gudrun's and Michael's office in Tiers for a briefing. It was decided to go to Campitello (Val di Fassa). Here we split: a smaller group (with Gudrun) going to by cable car to Belvedere (less walking); the rest with Michael to Passo Sella. I have been part of the smaller group, but as luck would have it, my pack got a 'ride' to launch :-)) Otherwise I would have had to use another, somewhat lower launch (facing S).

Belvedere
Belvedere: looking W: Langkofel, Rodella (rh side)
over Belvedere: looking  East: Sella -Marmolada
at Langkofel, looking NW towards Schlern, Alpe di Siusi

near Langkofel: looking East: Sella, Rodella/ Marmolada
Sven landing

We had to wait a while until conditions turned on, but then there have been strong thermals, some pilots climbing almost to 4000m (I only got a litte over 3300m). My first 'turnpoint' has been Marmolada, which I could easily reach as thermals at Belevdere got me to 3200m. Interestingly, on the way back, I couldn't find anymore thermals, where they had been just 40' earlier. I barely made it to the South face of Col Rodella. Here I had to scratch quite a while before getting high enough to cross over to the base of Langkofel. More scratching finally got me to 3300m, high enough to fly SW and to try to get over/ around Catinaccio and land in Tiers. But it didn't work out (too late?), so I landed in Campitello after 2:15.



No comments: