Saturday, 6 September 2025

IT -Abbruzzen (San Donato_Valle di Rio) / Cassino

Sat (6.9.) Difficult wind situation: It has been decided to try San Donato_Forca di Acero (from where I had made a nice flight in 2023). But the wind has been too cross... Michael knew of another possible launch;but only he, Igor and I went there to have a look: Valle di Rio: this launch can be accessed with only about a 10min hike from where you have to park the car.

Michael getting ready...
He could launch with a nice head wind, but soon reported that he didn't want me to launch - a desicion I had already made myself a few minutes previous: there  are almost no emergency landing options at the beginning of the flight. So Igor had to carry my gear back to the car - many thanks!!
Michael landing NEAR (!) the HG-LZ: paragliders are not really 
welcomed there - especially on weekends!

Then we continued to Monte Cassino, where the rest of the group already has been flying. For once I had a rather good reverse launch :-)) I have been able to get (almost) to the top of Monte Cairo, then headed South to the monastery of Cassino.

Monte Cairo
...flying towards the monastery (in the shade)
Monastery on Mte Cassino: it had been completely destroyed during WWII, then rebuilt
Pano looking North: Mte Cairo on left side




No comments: