Sat (20.9.) After some discussion, it has been decided to stay closer and go to Paolina. On the way we stopped a couple of times, as Michael was showing us some landing options. Paolina launch lies 'only' around 65m above the chairlift station, but this has been more than enough for me, especially as many 'steps' have been really high, so I had trouble lifting my weight on one leg... But in the end I also managed to get there. Luckily there has been no rush to get airborne as the conditions have been slow to develop.
 |
| LZ briefing |
 |
| Pano on launch, looking West. |
 |
| launch - looking N |
 |
| looking down to launch and chairlift station |
I didn't wait too long after the first pilots had launched, as conditions got really nice and the first thermal got me to 1000m over launch in about 10' :-)) As yesterday, the views have been just great.
 |
| above launch |
 |
| 'Santnerpass'-hut |
 |
| Pano looking N (above launch) |
 |
| Pano looking NE: Val di Fassa (Canazei), Sella, Lagazoi |
 |
| Marmolada |
 |
| LZ in Tiers/ St.Cyprian |
Even if the LZ looks very long, this doesn't make landing any easier. The whole LZ is sloping slightly downhill (almost as the glide angle of today's gliders) and (normally) into the wind... So one has to start low (!) near the hut to the right of the road cutting through the LZ; you need to be patient and do as many figure-8 turns until your less than 10m above the grass. Then you fly along the main road until you finally slide in for a landing near the hut at the end of the small track... I landed after 1h15'.
Sun (21.9.) I didn't go for another flight; although those who had stayed could fly from 'Kölner' hut , instead I headed home after 3 weeks full of great flights (21 in total; average > 1:05) and great views and memories. The driving ended as it had started on 31.8.: traffic jams...
 |
| Landquart... |
No comments:
Post a Comment